Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
NRC taking financial system to cloud
Friday - 2/10/2012, 12:18pm EST
NRC awarded CGI Federal a $21.3 million contract to transition the Financial Accounting and Integrated Management Information System/Core Financial System from a federally-hosted environment to the company's Momentum Community Cloud infrastructure. NRC has been using CGI's Momentum system through the Interior Department's National Business Center.
Along with hosting services, NRC said it wants CGI to provide application management services and implementation and integration services, which includes help desk, maintenance, systems analysis and training.
"Last year, we partnered with NRC to replace a dozen legacy financial systems with one integrated enterprise-wide system, streamlining their processes and increasing efficiency - to help them do more with less," said Toni Townes-Whitley, senior vice-president of CGI, in a statement. "Transitioning the NRC's system to the cloud takes these efforts to the next level by helping them improve operations while ensuring their business functions remain affordable, flexible, and secure."
The move to cloud is part of NRC's IT overhaul. Darren Ash, the agency chief information officer, said during an interview last June that improving the agency's technology capabilities was a major priority.
NRC becomes the second major agency to move their financial system to a private cloud provider. The Labor Department did so in January 2010 with Global Computer Enterprises.
Financial management systems and other back-office systems are among the next areas the Office of Management and Budget wants agencies to consider moving to cloud providers. Former Federal CIO Vivek Kundra said in June agencies had more than 500 financial management and 500 human resources systems and moving them to the cloud could save hundreds of millions.
Additionally, current federal CIO Steven VanRoekel is pushing shared services and has a draft strategy out for public comment.