Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
HHSInnovates awards online health tools
Thursday - 3/31/2011, 6:31pm EDT
Federal News Radio
The Department of Health and Human Services announced six winners in its second round of the HHSInnovates program Thursday.
"The President and I both share a view that government serves the people most effectively when every employee is heard and they know that those views are valued," said Kathleen Sebelius, HHS Secretary, during Thursday's awards ceremony. "We can't afford to waste the talent of any of our extraordinary employees."
Sebelius said the innovation competition is the best way to capture the best ideasfrom employees and put them into action.
HHS received 87 submissions that employees could vote on.
The Secretary picked six winners:
- Using Electronic Health Records for Public Health Surveillance
The tool provides real-time information on the H1N1 flu in the Native American and Alaskan Native populations based on electronic health records. The Indian Health Service, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Food and Drug Administration developed the tool together.
This online tool tracks the agency's progress on key management activities.
- MedlinePlus Connect
This tool directly connects the National Library of Medicine to any electronic health record that someone might have. It lets people gain information on their diagnosis and also lets health care providers educate patients. The National Institute of Health developed the software.
HHS also awarded three honorable mentions:
- From Outer Space To Eye Clinic
A tool developed between NASA and the National Eye Institute which uses NASA technology to early detect cataracts.
- "Ready, Cert, Go!"
This tool, developed by the HHS's Office of Human Resources, works to streamline the hiring process for the most frequently needed positions at HHS.
- MONAHRQ - Input Your Data, Output Your Website
The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ) created this tool to let organizations have the ability to create a functional website for reporting on health care.
The next round for HHSInnovates will begin May 2.
John Buckner is an intern with Federal News Radio.
(Copyright 2011 by FederalNewsRadio.com. All Rights Reserved.