Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Boosting Productivity, Boosting Morale
Wednesday - 11/19/2008, 12:40pm EST
Senior Internet Editor
How engaged are the employees at your agency and how is this affecting your department's productivity?
The Merit Systems Protection Board surveyed 35,000 federal employees to find the answers to these questions.
Doug Nierle, project manager for the Power of Federal Employee Engagement Report, tells FederalNewsRadio, they found six dimensions that are important to engaging federal employees:
- Pride in their work or workplace,
- Satisfaction with leadership,
- Opportunity to perform well at work,
- Satisfied with the recognition received,
- Prospect for future personal and professional growth, and
- A positive work environment with some focus on teamwork.
While Nierle notes that while not everyone can be promoted to the top of the pay scale, getting to know the employee, what their career goals are, and how to improve their competencies can make all the difference, even in the middle of a transition.
"Try to keep the focus on the work and on those drivers," says Nierle. "With more pressure on results, and lesser budgets, lesser staffs, these things can be forgotten."
If for no other reason, the report finds that engaged employees have a much more positive view of their supervisors' management skills than do employees who are not engaged. So engaging your employees may have a direct effect on your paycheck as well.
On the Web:
MSPB - The Power of Federal Employee Engagement (Acrobat)
(Copyright 2008 by FederalNewsRadio.com. All Rights Reserved.)