Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
Boosting Productivity, Boosting Morale
Wednesday - 11/19/2008, 12:40pm EST
Senior Internet Editor
How engaged are the employees at your agency and how is this affecting your department's productivity?
The Merit Systems Protection Board surveyed 35,000 federal employees to find the answers to these questions.
Doug Nierle, project manager for the Power of Federal Employee Engagement Report, tells FederalNewsRadio, they found six dimensions that are important to engaging federal employees:
- Pride in their work or workplace,
- Satisfaction with leadership,
- Opportunity to perform well at work,
- Satisfied with the recognition received,
- Prospect for future personal and professional growth, and
- A positive work environment with some focus on teamwork.
While Nierle notes that while not everyone can be promoted to the top of the pay scale, getting to know the employee, what their career goals are, and how to improve their competencies can make all the difference, even in the middle of a transition.
"Try to keep the focus on the work and on those drivers," says Nierle. "With more pressure on results, and lesser budgets, lesser staffs, these things can be forgotten."
If for no other reason, the report finds that engaged employees have a much more positive view of their supervisors' management skills than do employees who are not engaged. So engaging your employees may have a direct effect on your paycheck as well.
On the Web:
MSPB - The Power of Federal Employee Engagement (Acrobat)
(Copyright 2008 by FederalNewsRadio.com. All Rights Reserved.)