Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
IG report: Counterterrorism top DoJ challenge
Monday - 11/15/2010, 12:17pm EST
Federal News Radio
The Office of the Inspector General released a list of the top ten management and performance challenges facing the Department of Justice with counterterrorism at the top of the list.
The OIG report states DoJ must more effectively share information across its various law enforcement components, such as the FBI and U.S. Marshals Service.
DoJ has "taken appropriate steps" toward establishing a response plan in case of a weapons of mass destruction attrack. However, the "Department as a whole was not fully prepared to provide a coordinated response to a potential WMD attack and had not implemented adequate WMD response plans," according to the OIG report.
Counterterrorism is one of the long-standing challenges on the list. But other challenges, such as restoring confidence in DoJ, were added more recently.
This year, the OIG added two new challenges: "Southwest Border Security Issues" and "Violent and Organized Crime."
The full list list of challenges are:
- Restoring Confidence in the Department of Justice
- Southwest Border Security Issues
- Civil Rights and Civil Liberties
- Information Technology Systems Planning, Implementation, and Security
- Violent and Organized Crime
- Financial Crimes and Cyber Crimes
- Detention and Incarceration
- Grant Management and Recovery Act Funding and Oversight
- Financial Management
By statute, the list must be included in DoG's annual Performance and Accountability Report, according to the OIG report.
The OIG has prepared similar lists since 1998.
Click here to read the full report.