Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Secret Service agent kills self amid affair probe
Thursday - 11/1/2012, 6:18pm EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) - A senior Secret Service agent being formally investigated by the government for failing to disclose a long-standing relationship with a foreign citizen killed himself last week.
People familiar with the matter say Rafael Prieto, a married father assigned to President Barack Obama's security detail, acknowledged the affair after U.S. authorities began investigating. These people spoke on the condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss Prieto's death or the investigation.
The sources say Prieto's relationship was revealed to Secret Service investigators by an agent who had been entangled in the Colombian prostitution scandal earlier this year. That agent was concerned that the Secret Service wasn't enforcing its rules consistently.
It is against Secret Service rules to have a relationship with a foreign citizen and not tell the agency.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)