Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
ICE program coming to Mont. County this year
Wednesday - 4/20/2011, 5:25pm EDT
WASHINGTON - Another county in the D.C. region is getting ready to up the ante on illegal immigration.
The Gazette reports that Immigration and Customs Enforcement's Secure Communities program is expected to be in place in Montgomery County in September. The program automatically checks the fingerprints of every person booked into local jails with federal immigration records.
Many county officials and minority leaders continue to object to the plan. But ICE has required the county to adopt it, the Gazette says, and County Executive Isiah Leggett's office says Montgomery will acquiesce.
Montgomery County and Baltimore city are the only jurisdictions in Maryland not currently participating in the ICE program. The Gazette says since the program began in Maryland in 2008, Secure Communities has resulted in 293 illegal immigrants being deported as of March 31.
All Virginia counties have the program in place.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)