Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
FEMA denies Va.'s request for aid following tornadoes
Saturday - 5/7/2011, 2:32pm EDT
WASHINGTON - The Federal Emergency Management Agency has denied Gov. Bob McDonnel's request for federal disaster aid for those affected by the April tornadoes.
McDonnell requested the assistance for Halifak, Pulaski and Washington counties after an outbreak of 29 tornadoes in April killed ten people, destroyed an estimated 212 homes and damaged another 1,050.
"We are examining the possibility of appealing the decision, but in the mean time, state resources will continue to support the efforts of local governments and volunteer organizations that are helping our citizens recover," said McDonnell is a written statement.
FEMA also denied the state's request for the Hazard Mitigation Grant Program, which provides money for government projects that help reduce disaster risks.
2011 is already the second deadliest year for tornadoes in the commonwealth.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)