Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Senate confirms Mayorkas to Homeland Security Dept
Friday - 12/20/2013, 3:20pm EST
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate has confirmed immigration director Alejandro Mayorkas to be the No. 2 official at the Department of Homleand Security.
The 54-41 vote clears one of dozens of President Barack Obama's nominees to high government offices. Under a deal struck only hours earlier, Mayorkas' confirmation will be followed by votes to confirm John Andrew Koskinen to head the Internal Revenue Service and Brian J. Davis as U.S. District judge for Florida. The agreement calls for the Senate to vote on the confirmation of Janet Yellen to chair the Federal Reserve on Jan. 6.
Mayorkas' confirmation comes over GOP concerns that he remains the subject of an internal investigation into his decisions in a foreign investor visa program. Democrats say the probe has uncovered nothing improper. Mayorkas has denied any wrongdoing.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.