Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Senate confirms Mayorkas to Homeland Security Dept
Friday - 12/20/2013, 3:20pm EST
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate has confirmed immigration director Alejandro Mayorkas to be the No. 2 official at the Department of Homleand Security.
The 54-41 vote clears one of dozens of President Barack Obama's nominees to high government offices. Under a deal struck only hours earlier, Mayorkas' confirmation will be followed by votes to confirm John Andrew Koskinen to head the Internal Revenue Service and Brian J. Davis as U.S. District judge for Florida. The agreement calls for the Senate to vote on the confirmation of Janet Yellen to chair the Federal Reserve on Jan. 6.
Mayorkas' confirmation comes over GOP concerns that he remains the subject of an internal investigation into his decisions in a foreign investor visa program. Democrats say the probe has uncovered nothing improper. Mayorkas has denied any wrongdoing.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.