Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Analysis: DHS proposed rule might hurt agency-industry collaboration
Wednesday - 10/26/2011, 6:57pm EDT
But that rule could create a "fear factor" that deters some DHS employees from attending industry events.
"That hopefully will not be the case, but employees on the side of caution will say, 'I don't want to deal with that kind of perceived ethical issue," said Jaime Gracia, industry co-chair of the Better Government IT Working Group and President and CEO of Seville Government Consulting, in an interview with In Depth with Francis Rose.
Conferences — such as the Executive Leadership Conference presented by industry group ACT-IAC — are educational opportunities for federal employees, Gracia said.
"We've talked about the need for more collaboration between government and industry. I hope the unintended consequence of these rules is that they do not prevent this kind of collaboration," he said.
The proposed rule is vague about whether or not DHS employees can attend industry events or speak at events unpaid.
"The rule seems to be amorphous," Gracia said. "Hopefully, more guidance will be forthcoming."