Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
The changing state of Public Sector collaboration and associated operations
Monday - 5/17/2010, 4:38pm EDT
The Future of Public Sector Workforce and Workspace Sustainability is a series featuring a panel of renowned government and technology-industry experts. The panel, The changing state of Public Sector collaboration and associated operations, the first in the series looks at the challenges and evolving landscape facing Public Sector agencies, and how advanced collaboration models and solutions help organizations raise performance and satisfy citizen demands.
This panel of renowned government and technology-industry experts will:
- Examine the role of collaboration to drive transparency and efficiency in an open government
- Review strategies to build and sustain tomorrow's Public Sector workforce
- Explore how to help raise the performance of government's services, while saving significant costs and promoting green initiatives
- Look at the challenges and evolving landscape facing Public Sector agencies, and how advanced collaboration models and solutions help organizations raise performance and satisfy citizen demands
Gerald T. Charles, Jr. - Director, Public Sector, Internet Business Solutions Group
Dave McClure- formerly of the Government Accountability Office and most recently from Gartner, will head the General Services Administration's Office of Citizen Services and Communications
Afia K. Asamoah, JD, MPP- Special Assistant to the Principal Deputy Commissioner, Food and Drug Administration
Moderator: Tom Temin- Co-host of the Federal Drive
About the Panel:
Gerald T. Charles, Jr.
Director, Public Sector
Internet Business Solutions Group
As a thought leader in management and technology strategy, governance, and business models, workforce and workspace sustainability, security, IT-based solutions, and innovation, he is helping transform service delivery and economic value in the public sector. He has served various senior executives and officials in civilian, defense, and commercial organizations. Charles has developed and implemented companies' mergers and acquisitions as well as strategic, operational, and financial goals.
Prior to Cisco, Charles was a vice president for TRW and BDM. He brought in multimillion-dollar contracts, turned closed subsidiaries into profit centers, and was a key technical and program architect for implementation of the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission's EDGAR system. After TRW, Charles was vice president for OAO Technology Solutions (OAOT), a commercial outsourcer and managed services provider, where he eliminated major losses in ebusiness divisions and corporate acquisitions, implemented an IT solution provider practice, and started the company's public sector division.
Charles is a published author and wrote The LAN Blueprint: Engineering It Right (McGraw-Hill) as well as various Cisco global industry points of view, including the 21st century workforce and workspace, innovation in the Public Sector, transportation, and security. Charles also earned a congressional medal for outstanding service and achievement.
Charles holds an master's degree in electrical engineering from the University of Maryland, and a bachelor's degree in electrical engineering from the Illinois Institute of Technology.
Afia K. Asamoah, JD, MPP
Special Assistant to the Principal Deputy Commissioner
Food and Drug Administration