Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Senate confirms Obama's new health secretary
Thursday - 6/5/2014, 3:20pm EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) -- The Senate has confirmed Sylvia Mathews Burwell to be the nation's new health secretary and steward of the president's health care law.
The 78-17 vote was a bipartisan show of support for the veteran government manager who most recently served as President Barack Obama's budget director.
But Burwell will have to act quickly to head off more insurance chaos this fall.
Despite a strong finish to open enrollment this year, HealthCare.gov is still dealing with unresolved issues ranging from possibly inaccurate insurance payments, to e-commerce basics.
The White House desperately wants to avoid more attention-grabbing problems when sign-up season starts Nov. 15. Democrats hope that Burwell's confirmation might usher in a fresh start for "Obamacare," but Republicans indicate they won't play along.
Copyright 2014 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.