Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
NDU financial management course aims to build leaders
Wednesday - 3/28/2012, 6:09pm EDT
The CFO Academy is a joint project of DoD's comptroller, the CFO Council led by the Office of Management and Budget and the iCollege, Aguilera said.
"That joint project is essentially an attempt, for the first time, to bring leadership education throughout the federal government, for all federal financial managers in the financial management community," he said. "So, it's not skills training — it's more leadership training geared towards more senior folks in the financial management community in the Defense Department and throughout the federal government."
Too often, employees rise through the ranks of the financial management community without an effort to develop true leadership skills, Aguilera said.
"We tend to look at their skills base, their analytical skills, for example," he said. "We tend to promote those folks that are good analysts ... without looking at what kinds of leadership deficits they might have, what kinds of leadership opportunities they might be looking for. And the Chief Financial Officer Academy is an opportunity for them to come and to meet with and learn from senior folks who've kind of walked a mile in their shoes and had some of the experiences that they've had and to learn the leadership lessons and get exposed to some of the leadership events that they might see in their career."