Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
The Base Realignment and Closure process is an exercise by the federal government to determine the best use of its military installations. This includes both the closure and realignment of assets in an effort to increase efficiency within the Defense Department.
Bill would freeze JFCOM BRAC closing
Thursday - 9/16/2010, 8:40am EDT
- Virginia Senator Jim Webb plans to introduce a bill that would freeze action on the Defense Department's recommendation to close Joint Forces Command. That recommendation was announced recently by Defense Secretary Robert Gates as a way to reduce costs. But Webb says he wants DoD to provide details on what led to the idea in the first place. He says closing the command would have a significant impact on developing joint warfighting capabilities. The Senate Armed Services Committee is planning a hearing to address the closing plan and other Pentagon cost-saving initiatives.
- President Obama is encouraging service members to meet next month's deadline to apply for special retroactive pay. If your service between September 11th 2001 and September 30th 2009 was extended under "stop loss," the President wants you to get the money you deserve. The president signed a bill last year that set aside $534 million for 185,000 service members. They're eligible for another $500 a month, but many service members haven't applied for the funds. The application deadline is Oct. 21.
Check out all of Federal News Radio's coverage of Defense issues here.