Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Chief: Tractor-trailer rear-ends fire truck
Wednesday - 1/30/2013, 5:23am EST
WASHINGTON - Drivers on the Capital Beltway encountered severe delays Wednesday morning after a crash involving a fire truck and a tractor-trailer on the Inner Loop and a secondary accident on the Outer Loop.
The tractor-trailer rear-ended a Prince George's County fire truck on the Inner Loop south of U.S. 50, forcing the interstate to shut down and sending seven people -- including four West Lanham, Md., firefighters -- to the hospital, Prince George's Fire and EMS Chief Marc Bashoor said.
Sources say the fire truck attempted to make a U-turn from the left lane, but didn't give drivers enough time to stop.
"A tractor-tractor on the Inner Loop apparently rear-ended the fire truck. The tractor-trailer and the fire truck both overturned," Bashoor told WTOP at the scene.
Both then hit the retaining wall.
"An SUV on the Outer Loop also overturned. It was part of the secondary part to the accident," Bashoor said.
Initially, the 2:45 a.m. Inner Loop crash closed both loops of the Beltway.
As of 12:40 p.m., all lanes of the Outer Loop were open. Two left lanes on the Inner Loop remained blocked.
Prince George's County Fire and EMS transported the four West Lanham firefighters to hospitals. Three of the firefighters have been treated and released from Prince George's Hospital Center. The fourth firefighter remains in surgery at Union Memorial Hospital in Baltimore.
@rectorsun just sent - 3 FF's Prince George's Hosp HAVE BEEN released.Continue 2 keep 4th @ Baltimore Union Memorial N thoughts & prayers.— Marc Bashoor (@PGFD_Chief) January 30, 2013
Bashoor says at the time of the crash, the fire truck was in service and was returning to the fire station.
Bashoor says the injuries of the tractor-trailer driver and two people in the SUV were not as severe.
"The tractor-trailer we believe is carrying food," Bashoor says.
The crash is being investigated jointly by the Prince George's County Police Department and Maryland State Police.
Bashoor says the service to the West Lanham area will not be affected. Other firefighters and reserve apparatus will be used.
(Copyright 2013 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)