Shows & Panels
Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- American Readiness: Renewable Power and Efficiency Technologies
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal News Radio's National Cyber Security Awareness Month Special Panel Discussion
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- Government Perspectives on Mobility and the Cloud
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mitigating Insider Threats in Virtual & Cloud Environments
- Modern Mission Critical Series
- The New Generation of Database
- Reimagining the Next Generation of Government
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Gen. Chandler: Air Force "INVESTing" in driving efficiency
Tuesday - 11/9/2010, 5:58pm EST
From "Airmen 'INVEST' in efficiencies" by Capt. Chris Sukach on the Air Force web site:
"Air Force Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Carrol H. 'Howie' Chandler spoke about Air Force efficiency initiatives Oct. 28 as part of the Military Strategy Forum at the Center for Strategic and International Studies here.
"Air Force Smart Operations, known as AFSO21, is a continuous improvement process Air Force leaders implemented several years ago that incorporates portions of the Lean and Six Sigma process improvement tools into an eight-step problem-solving model.
"The INVEST Awards is a DOD contest that awards cash prizes to those who submit the best ideas for improving efficiency. INVEST suggestions from Airmen included a move away from the traditional end-of-fiscal-year spending drill often seen in DOD.
"He also said the INVEST suggestions by Airmen showed a desire to eliminate inefficiencies, such as un-needed headquarters organizations and redundant inspections, and to focus more on environmental awareness, with an emphasis on renewable energy.
"Rather than take unneeded office items to a Defense Reutilization and Marketing Office for disposal, DOD members could instead offer them to other agencies for re-use on a Craigslist-like website, the general said.
"General Chandler's appearance at CSIS was part of series geared toward understanding the military services' approaches to DOD's efficiencies initiative. Army Vice Chief of Staff Gen. Peter Chiarelli kicked off the discussions at CSIS July 15, and Vice Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Jonathan Greenert will participate in his own forum Nov. 1."
I played highlights of Gen. Chandler's presentation in the first hour of the show today. You can hear the entire presentation by clicking on the audio link. You can learn more about the event by clicking here.