Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
David M. Bowen discusses his leadership
Wednesday - 9/22/2010, 12:17pm EDT
David M. Bowen
Mr. Bowen has over 25 years experience in healthcare information technology management in the provider, payer, consultant and vendor areas. He was formerly the Senior Vice President for Information Technology and Chief Information Officer (CIO) at Blue Shield of California, a $6.2 billion health plan with over 2.5 million members and the 2nd largest not-for-profit healthcare organization in California. He directed Blue Shield's information technology, telecommunication, business recovery and web implementation resources with an operating budget in excess of $100 million. Mr. Bowen sat on Blue Shield's Operations Committee and its Senior Staff.
Prior to his Blue Shield position, Mr. Bowen was Senior Vice President for Information Management and CIO of Catholic Healthcare West (CHW), the 5th largest healthcare delivery system in the United States. He was responsible for CHW's Information Management and Telecommunications resources for CHW's 46 hospitals, located throughout California, Arizona, and Nevada. He managed an operating budget of over $90 million and an annual capital budget of $50 million. He also managed CHW's Year 2000 initiative with a total 3-year operating and capital budget of over $140 million.
Prior to joining CHW, Mr. Bowen was the Sr. Vice President for Information Systems and Chief Information Officer at the Baptist Health System, Inc., of Birmingham, Alabama, a 13-hospital system and the largest integrated healthcare delivery system in Alabama. He was also CIO of its wholly-owned HMO, Health Partners of Alabama.
Mr. Bowen is the former Board Chairman of the Coastside Family Medical Center, former Chairman of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association IT Roundtable, and member of the Blue Cross Blue Shield Association Interplan Technology Advisory Council. He is a member of the American Institute of CPAs, the Hospital Information and Management Systems Society (HIMSS), and is a charter member of the College of Healthcare Information Management Executives (CHIME).
Mr. Bowen has an undergraduate degree in Economics from Ursinus College, Collegeville, Pennsylvania and a Masters Degree in Business with Distinction from the Johnson Graduate School of Business, Cornell University, Ithaca, New York. He is also a Certified Public Accountant, holds an FAA Commercial Pilot certificate, and has over 25 years of flying experience.