Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Former recruiter in custody after shooting at Navy property in Tenn.
Thursday - 10/24/2013, 2:57pm EDT
MILLINGTON, Tenn. (AP) - A gunman opened fire at a U.S. Navy facility in Tennessee before being taken into custody Thursday, wounding two service members and prompting a lockdown, the military said.
The U.S. Navy wrote on its official Twitter page that the suspect was in custody after the shooting at Naval Support Activity Mid-South in Millington, near Memphis. The Navy said two soldiers were wounded, though neither had life- threatening injuries.
The Navy says the base was briefly placed on lockdown as a precaution, though the lockdown was lifted in the afternoon.
A Navy recruiter who had been relieved of duty opened fire but was quickly taken into custody, said a law enforcement official briefed on the developments. The official was not authorized to discuss the investigation publicly and spoke on condition of anonymity.
Naval Support Activity Mid-South has more than 7,500 military, civilian and contract personnel working on the base, according to the facility's official website. The facility is home to human resources operations and serves as headquarters to the Navy Personnel Command, Navy Recruiting Command, the Navy Manpower Analysis Center and the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers Finance Center.