Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Future of Government Data Centers
- The Future of IT: How CIOs Can Enable the Service-Oriented Enterprise
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
- Air Traffic Management Transformation Report
- Cloud First Report
- General Dynamics IT Enterprise Center
- Gov Cloud Minute
- Government in Technology Series
- Homeland Security Cybersecurity Market Report
- National Cybersecurity Awareness Month
- Technology Insights
- The Cyber Security Report
- The Next Generation Cyber Security Experts
Shows & Panels
Ayotte wants answers on A-10 cuts, blocks Air Force nominee
Thursday - 9/26/2013, 1:46pm EDT
The aide said Ayotte wants to ensure that the Air Force doesn't prematurely end the aircraft.
The news was first reported Wednesday by the Defense News.
Ayotte, the ranking member on the Senate Subcommittee on Readiness and Management Support, first raised concerns about potential cuts to the attack aircraft fleet during James' Sept. 19 confirmation hearing before the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Questioning James, Ayotte read a slide from the Air Combat Command saying that the A-10 fleet would be divested by Fiscal Year 2015.
"What that makes me concerned is that there already has been a decision made on the A-10. ... The A-10 has a very important function in terms of close air support," she said, adding that 60 soldiers had been saved in July in Afghanistan thanks to A-10 support.
James responded that she had no knowledge of a decision being made on divesting the A-10 fleet or any other aircraft.
"All of this is pre-decisional," she said. "However, it is my belief, that planners and people who are looking at budget and possible scenarios are looking at options and everything, including complete divestitures of aircraft fleet, these things are possibilities. They are on the table."
Ayotte described herself as a strong supporter of the F-35, the fifth-generation fighter.
"But until the F-35 is operational, we can't be giving up our capacity, particularly important capacity that protects our troops," she said.
The Associated Press contributed to the reporting of this story.