DoD will be able to fight more than one war at a time

Monday - 1/9/2012, 7:33am EST

Defense Department budgets submitted for 2013 will reflect the new, lower-cost strategy President Obama outlined last week, according to the American Forces Press Service.

Pentagon Press Secretary George Little said the United States will still be able to conduct more than a single war at one time. He said news media have been under a mistaken impression the United States is abandoning a two-front capability.

"Let me be very clear," Little said in the article. "If we take on more than one threat from a state or nonstate actor, we will be prepared to address those threats, and we will win."

All of the administration's budget requests are due to Congress Feb. 6. Under last summer's budget agreement, the Pentagon must forgo $500 billion in future increases over the next 10 years.

RELATED STORIES

Analysis: Defense strategy shifts balance of U.S. forces

Obama launches reshaping, shrinking of US military

This story is part of Federal News Radio's daily DoD Report. For more defense news, click here.