Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
PTO manager driving force in federal telework
Monday - 7/2/2012, 1:08pm EDT
Federal News Radio asked the Sammies finalists to tell us a bit about themselves.
What three words best describe your leadership philosophy?
The three words that best describe my leadership philosophy are commitment (to agency mission, agency employees, external stakeholders), compassion (for those I serve), and determination (to ensure that the USPTO continues to be at the vanguard of federal telework).
What's the best piece of advice (or words of wisdom) you've ever received and who gave it to you?
I had a former supervisor whose hourly mantra was, "The devil is in the details." The phrase has served me well during the course of my career.
Who is your biggest role model and why?
I've had the good fortune to have many, but personally, the most outstanding was my father. He encouraged me to give my personal best, regardless of the task. He also instilled the belief that with hard work and determination, anything is possible.
Professionally, David Kappos, Director of the USPTO, Debbie Cohn, Commissioner for Trademarks, and Peggy Focarino, Commissioner for Patents, have been exemplary role models for me. Each of these individuals demonstrates exemplary leadership and integrity.
What's the biggest challenge you've had to overcome (personally or professionally) and how did you overcome it?
While there has been a great deal of momentum for telework since the signing of the Telework Enhancement Act in 2010, there is still a lot that needs to be done and at a much greater rate. To help overcome this, I will continue to showcase the USPTO telework model as a best practice and provide assistance to federal agencies whenever possible.
What's the last thing you read and what's next on your reading list?
The Leadership Secrets of Santa Claus by Harvey, Cottrell, Lucia.
What's your favorite bureaucratic phrase?