Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
Bryson resigns as Commerce secretary
Thursday - 6/21/2012, 1:11pm EDT
(AP file photo)
Bryson was injured and unconscious immediately after the June 9 collisions. He was cited for felony hit-and-run, although he has not been charged.
In his resignation letter to President Obama, Bryson wrote, "I have concluded that the seizure I suffered on June 9 could be a distraction from my performance as secretary and that our country would be better served by a change in leadership of the department."
The President accepted the resignation Wednesday night, offering his "deepest thanks and appreciation" to Bryson.
Bryson "fought tirelessly for our nation's businesses and workers, helping to bolster our exports and promote American manufacturing and products at home and abroad," the President said in a statement. "I am grateful that he brought that invaluable experience and expertise to my administration, and am pleased that he has agreed to continue supporting our efforts to strengthen the economy and create good jobs by serving as a member of my Export Council going forward."
Bryson was sworn into office on October 21, 2011. Previously, he was the chairman of Edison International.
After Bryson took his medical leave on June 11, the White House stated there was no timetable for his return.
Deputy Secretary Rebecca Blank has been serving as acting secretary since Bryson took his medical leave.