Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Szykman expands point of view as Commerce's new CIO
Thursday - 9/16/2010, 6:30pm EDT
At NIST, Szykman had more direct control over how the agency manages and uses technology. Now heading up the entire department, he must play the role of facilitator and collaborator.
Szykman said there are more touch points, more internal customers and more bureau level CIOs to work with and ensure strong relationships are created and maintained.
Along with the relationships, he had to learn more details of all the investments and short and long-term priorities.
Among his top priorities are cybersecurity, improving the department's efficiency and effectiveness in using technology and improving how his office monitors IT projects.
Syzkman said data center consolidation, strategic sourcing of IT products and services and enterprise-wide services are among the ways he wants to improve the efficiency and effectiveness of Commerce technology programs.
He also is overseeing a new program to train cybersecurity professionals in the department. The goal is not necessarily to hire new employees, but improve the training of the ones already in the department.