Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Moldova: probe into doctor using 'household' drill
Thursday - 7/25/2013, 11:40am EDT
CHISINAU, Moldova (AP) -- Officials at a hospital in Moldova are investigating a surgeon's claim that he had to use a handyman's drill to perform an operation because proper equipment was unavailable.
Grigore Rusanovschi, a doctor at the Valentin Ignatenco Hospital in Chisinau, says he posted a video online Monday showing him using the drill. He accused management of failing to respond to his requests to buy equipment.
Hospital director Nicolae Starciuc said, however, that drills he purchased were not being used.
Health Minister Andrei Usatii told The Associated Press Wednesday that investigators had found three proper drills at the hospital, but had not found the drill that Rusanovschi says he used.
Viorel Soltan, former deputy health minister, said Wednesday that the video was accurate.
"It is genuine what happened and there are other cases that happen in Moldova where doctors use household drills," Soltan said.
Moldova is one of Europe's poorest countries with an average monthly salary of euros 225 euros ($300).
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.