Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Mets' Mejia diagnosed with hyperactive thyroid
Friday - 3/8/2013, 3:00pm EST
PORT ST. LUCIE, Fla. (AP) -- New York Mets pitching prospect Jenrry Mejia returned to camp Friday and can resume baseball activities after being diagnosed with a hyperactive thyroid gland.
The 23-year-old flew to New York this week for tests following his spring training physical. He has been advised by doctors not to eat seafood, which is rich in lodine, but he does not have to take medication.
"Everything is doing great. Everything is going well," said Mejia, expected to start the regular season at Triple-A Las Vegas. "They said everything is looking great and I can do every activity, but don't eat fish. It's like Jose Reyes.
"They said (the thyroid) is too quick, but it's normal right now. They don't want me to make it faster."
Reyes, a former' Mets shortstop, was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism during spring training in 2010 and missed the first five games of the regular season.
It's been a spring training of delays and setbacks for Mejia, who went 1-2 with a 5.63 ERA in five appearances for the Mets last season.
He reported to camp more than a week later than expected due to visa issues in the Dominican Republic and was roughed up in his lone exhibition appearance, allowing five runs in one inning against the Miami Marlins on Feb. 26.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.