Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
California tobacco tax supporters call for recount
Friday - 7/13/2012, 11:35am EDT
SACRAMENTO, Calif. (AP) - Tobacco tax supporters want a recount of ballots in parts of Los Angeles County to see if California's barely-defeated Proposition 29 might swing the other way.
Unofficial ballot results show the $1-per-pack cigarette tax initiative to fund cancer research lost in June by fewer than 30,000 votes out of more than 5 million cast statewide.
The Sacramento Bee ( http://bit.ly/MlJ17D) says San Francisco surgeon John Maa, a member of the American Heart Association, requested a recount Monday.
He asked the California secretary of state's office to recount 190 precincts in the Los Angeles County areas of Sherman Oaks and North Hollywood. Those precincts accounted for about 48,000 votes cast June 5.
Los Angeles registrar Dean Logan says the recount begins Monday with an electronic tally before a manual count at midweek.
Information from: The Sacramento Bee, http://www.sacbee.com
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)