Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Nobel Prize season kicks off with medicine award
Monday - 10/8/2012, 2:00am EDT
STOCKHOLM (AP) - Some of the world's top scholars will be thrust into the global spotlight this week as award committees in Stockholm and Oslo announce the 2012 Nobel Prizes, starting with the medicine award Monday.
The prestigious prizes, created by Swedish industrialist Alfred Nobel, were first awarded in 1901 to honor ground-breaking achievements in medicine, physics, chemistry, literature and peace work.
The economics prize was not among the original awards, but was established by the Swedish central bank in 1968.
The Nobel Foundation this year lowered the prize money 20 percent to 8 million Swedish kronor ($1.2 million), citing turmoil on financial markets. All prizes will be handed out Dec. 10, the anniversary of Nobel's death in 1896.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)