Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
2 officers injured in Obama motorcade in Florida
Thursday - 6/13/2013, 4:20am EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Two Miami police officers were injured Wednesday while participating in President Barack Obama's motorcade in Florida, police said. Neither of the injuries was life-threatening.
The Miami Police Department said Sgt. Rufus Devane III, 42, and Sgt. Santiago Cruz, 49, were traveling on Interstate 95 when they were involved in a crash while approaching an onramp. A preliminary investigation indicated an abandoned vehicle on the shoulder of the road may have contributed to the crash, though the investigation is not complete, police said.
The two officers were brought to a local hospital, where tests were under way to determine the severity of their injuries, police said. Both officers have been with the department for about two decades.
Obama's motorcade was returning to Miami's international airport after two Democratic fundraisers the president held Wednesday evening in Miami Beach, Fla. Obama's itinerary wasn't affected. Obama left Miami on a return flight to Washington ahead of schedule.
The White House and U.S. Secret Service had no immediate comment.
This isn't the first time Obama's motorcade has been involved in an accident in Florida. In September 2012, Bruce St. Laurent of the Jupiter, Fla. police department was struck and killed by a pickup truck in West Palm Beach, Fla., where Obama was traveling for a campaign stop.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.