Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
GOP congressman compares DC leaders to 'teenagers'
Thursday - 4/25/2013, 7:28pm EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Republican congressman from Florida has compared District of Columbia leaders to teenagers for seeking control of their municipal budget.
District voters approved a charter amendment this week that would allow the city government to spend local tax dollars without congressional approval. It's up to Congress to decide whether to let the amendment stand.
In an interview with WTTG-TV on Thursday (http://tinyurl.com/c6wxvcz), Rep. John Mica did not say he was opposed to budget autonomy for the city. He said the district appears to be in good financial shape. But he said that when his children "were young, teenagers, they always wanted budget autonomy, too."
Mica sits on the House committee that oversees the district and says there is still a need for congressional oversight of city affairs.
Information from: WTTG-TV, http://www.myfoxdc.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.