Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
GOP congressman compares DC leaders to 'teenagers'
Thursday - 4/25/2013, 7:28pm EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Republican congressman from Florida has compared District of Columbia leaders to teenagers for seeking control of their municipal budget.
District voters approved a charter amendment this week that would allow the city government to spend local tax dollars without congressional approval. It's up to Congress to decide whether to let the amendment stand.
In an interview with WTTG-TV on Thursday (http://tinyurl.com/c6wxvcz), Rep. John Mica did not say he was opposed to budget autonomy for the city. He said the district appears to be in good financial shape. But he said that when his children "were young, teenagers, they always wanted budget autonomy, too."
Mica sits on the House committee that oversees the district and says there is still a need for congressional oversight of city affairs.
Information from: WTTG-TV, http://www.myfoxdc.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.