Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
GOP congressman compares DC leaders to 'teenagers'
Thursday - 4/25/2013, 7:28pm EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A Republican congressman from Florida has compared District of Columbia leaders to teenagers for seeking control of their municipal budget.
District voters approved a charter amendment this week that would allow the city government to spend local tax dollars without congressional approval. It's up to Congress to decide whether to let the amendment stand.
In an interview with WTTG-TV on Thursday (http://tinyurl.com/c6wxvcz), Rep. John Mica did not say he was opposed to budget autonomy for the city. He said the district appears to be in good financial shape. But he said that when his children "were young, teenagers, they always wanted budget autonomy, too."
Mica sits on the House committee that oversees the district and says there is still a need for congressional oversight of city affairs.
Information from: WTTG-TV, http://www.myfoxdc.com
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.