Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Michelle Obama visits, thanks government employees
Tuesday - 4/23/2013, 2:00pm EDT
STACY A. ANDERSON
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Michelle Obama is thanking federal employees for their service and sacrifices as they do more work with fewer resources.
The first lady thanked hundreds of workers at the Interior Department Tuesday for putting the country "on the path to energy independence," protecting precious natural resources and preserving monuments for future generations to enjoy.
She said the department's work is not only vital to the country's economy and preserving the environment, but critical for children's health in the nation. Mrs. Obama-- a proponent of physical fitness and healthy eating for children-- said playing outdoors is an inexpensive way to keep youth moving, which benefits both their physical and emotional health.
She previously visited the department and several others in 2009 after President Barack Obama was first elected.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.