Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
USS Arlington joins fleet in Va in memory of 9/11
Saturday - 4/6/2013, 3:18pm EDT
NORFOLK, Va. (AP) -- A Navy ship named in honor of the victims and first responders of the 9/11 attack on the Pentagon has joined the fleet.
The Navy commissioned the USS Arlington at Naval Station Norfolk on Saturday. The Pentagon is in Arlington County, Va., and 184 people died when American Airlines Flight 77 crashed into in on Sept. 11, 2001. The Navy says about 5,000 people attended the ceremony, including some family members of those who died that day.
The amphibious transport dock has 200 pounds of steel from the Pentagon's wreckage on board the ship. There are also 184 gold stars throughout the ship in honor of the victims.
The Arlington is one of three ships named after 9/11 crash sites. The others are the USS New York and USS Somerset.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.