Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Fla. Sen. Bill Nelson supports gay marriage
Thursday - 4/4/2013, 9:19pm EDT
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) -- U.S. Sen. Bill Nelson has joined the growing number of senators to endorse gay marriage.
The Florida Democrat wrote Thursday in a Tampa Bay Times column (http://bit.ly/17fSaWH), "The civil rights and responsibilities for one must pertain to all. Thus, to discriminate against one class and not another is wrong for me."
Nelson pledged to add his name to the petition of senators asking the U.S. Supreme Court to declare the law that prohibits gay marriage unconstitutional.
The moderate Nelson had previously supported civil unions for gay people but said he believed marriage should be between a man and a woman.
With Nelson's shift, only six Senate Democrats remain opposed to gay marriage. A handful of Republicans, including Ohio Sen. Rob Portman, have also changed their stance
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.