Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Virginia Sen. Mark Warner now backs gay marriage
Monday - 3/25/2013, 10:10pm EDT
RICHMOND, Va. (AP) -- U.S. Sen. Mark Warner, a Virginia Democrat who describes himself as a centrist, has announced on Facebook that he now supports gay marriage.
Warner's disclosure Monday comes as the U.S. Supreme Court prepares to hear arguments on two cases involving gay marriage this week. It marks an evolution for Warner on the subject.
Warner had previously supported civil unions that confer some rights that married couples enjoy on same-gender couples. In the waning days of his term as governor, Warner was the first governor to ban discrimination in hiring and workplace protection for gay state employees.
In 2010, he backed ending the Pentagon's "don't ask, don't tell" policy toward gays in the military.
On Facebook, Warner says he supports marriage equality "because it is the fair and right thing to do."
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.