Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Cuban dissident blogger visits White House
Thursday - 3/21/2013, 7:06am EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) -- One of Cuba's best-known dissidents has visited the White House after trying for nearly a decade to obtain government permission to travel outside the communist island.
The White House says blogger Yoani Sanchez met Wednesday with officials to discuss free speech issues in Cuba.
Sanchez is on an 80-day tour of about a dozen nations, including Brazil, Italy and Switzerland. Her authorization to leave Cuba was seen as a test of a new law announced in October that eliminated the exit permit required of islanders for five decades.
The State Department honored Sanchez in 2011 with the International Women of Courage Award.
White House spokeswoman Caitlin Hayden says the U.S. wants Cubans to be able to express themselves without fear.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.