Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Obama expected to nominate Perez for Labor post
Monday - 3/18/2013, 12:09am EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A person familiar with White House deliberations says President Barack Obama on Monday will nominate Justice Department official Thomas Perez to head the Labor Department.
The person spoke on condition of anonymity because no official announcement has been made.
Perez has headed the Justice Department's Civil Rights Division since 2009 and would be the first Hispanic chosen for Obama's second-term cabinet.
He has strong support from Latino and labor groups, but could face opposition from Republicans who say his tenure at Justice has been guided too much by political ideology. If confirmed, he would replace Hilda Solis, who resigned in January to return to her native California.
Perez previously served as Maryland's labor secretary.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.