Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Michelle Obama to attend Chicago girl's funeral
Thursday - 2/7/2013, 5:26pm EST
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A White House official says Michelle Obama will attend Saturday's funeral for the 15-year-old Chicago girl who was killed after returning home from performing during inauguration festivities for President Barack Obama.
Hadiya Pendleton was killed in a park close to the Obamas' home on Chicago's South Side. Police say a gunman hopped a fence and opened fire on a group of young people, killing the drum majorette. No arrests have been made.
White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett and Education Secretary Arne Duncan, both from Chicago, also will attend the funeral.
Pendleton's death brought renewed attention to Chicago's homicide rate and the debate over gun violence in America.
The White House official spoke on condition of anonymity because the first lady's travel plans had not been formally announced.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.