Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Michelle Obama to attend Chicago girl's funeral
Thursday - 2/7/2013, 5:26pm EST
WASHINGTON (AP) -- A White House official says Michelle Obama will attend Saturday's funeral for the 15-year-old Chicago girl who was killed after returning home from performing during inauguration festivities for President Barack Obama.
Hadiya Pendleton was killed in a park close to the Obamas' home on Chicago's South Side. Police say a gunman hopped a fence and opened fire on a group of young people, killing the drum majorette. No arrests have been made.
White House senior adviser Valerie Jarrett and Education Secretary Arne Duncan, both from Chicago, also will attend the funeral.
Pendleton's death brought renewed attention to Chicago's homicide rate and the debate over gun violence in America.
The White House official spoke on condition of anonymity because the first lady's travel plans had not been formally announced.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.