Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
Shows & Panels
Nebraska GOP senator announces opposition to Hagel
Thursday - 2/7/2013, 10:41am EST
WASHINGTON (AP) -- Nebraska Republican Sen. Deb Fischer says she will vote against Chuck Hagel to be the next defense secretary.
Fisher wrote an op-ed published Thursday in the Omaha World-Herald. She casts Hagel's views as out of the mainstream, a point she argued during his confirmation hearing last week. She also says Hagel gave, quote, "confusing and contradictory" testimony before the Senate Armed Services Committee.
Fischer's opposition was widely expected, as Hagel endorsed her Democratic rival -- former Sen. Bob Kerrey -- in the November election. Hagel is a former two-term GOP senator from Nebraska.
Nebraska's other Republican senator, Mike Johanns, (JOH'-hanz) has said he supports Hagel for the job.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.