Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Hagel, McCain tangle over Iraq war and troop surge
Thursday - 1/31/2013, 11:07am EST
WASHINGTON (AP) - Republican Sen. John McCain is tangling with Chuck Hagel over his past statements about the Iraq war. The Arizona Republican says that his dissatisfaction Hagel's answers could affect whether he votes for or against the former Republican senator who is President Barack Obama's choice for secretary of defense.
McCain, a strong backer of the 2007 troop surge, on Thursday pressed Hagel whether he was right or wrong in his opposition to the influx of 30,000 troops. Hagel declined to give a simple answer, seeking to elaborate and saying that Iraq took the U.S. focus off Afghanistan.
The two, who know each other well from Hagel's time as a Republican senator from Nebraska, talked over each other during Hagel's confirmation hearing. Hagel faces opposition from some other Republican senators as well.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)