Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
Boehner says letter on Clinton aide 'dangerous'
Thursday - 7/19/2012, 12:53pm EDT
WASHINGTON (AP) - House Speaker John Boehner says it's dangerous for a fellow Republican to allege that an aide to Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton has family ties to Egypt's Muslim Brotherhood.
Minnesota Republican Michele Bachmann wrote a letter to the State Department last month with other Republicans about Huma Abedin (HOO'-muh AB'-uh-deen). The letter said Abedin's late father, mother and brother were connected to Muslim Brotherhood operations. Bachmann asked in a separate letter how Abedin received security clearance.
Boehner says that while he doesn't know Abedin personally, "from everything I do know of her, she has a sterling character, and I think accusations like this being thrown around are pretty dangerous."
On Wednesday another prominent Republican, Sen. John McCain of Arizona, also came to the defense of Abedin, who is Muslim.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)