Shows & Panels
- Accelerate and Streamline for Better Customer Service
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Client Virtualization Solutions
- Data Protection in a Virtual World
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Feds in the Cloud
- Health IT: A Policy Change Agent
- Improving Healthcare Outcomes through IT Policy
- IT Innovation in the New Era of Government
- Making Dollars And Sense Out of Data Center Consolidation
- Navigating the Private Cloud
- One Step to the Cloud, Two Steps Toward Innovation
- Path to FDCCI Compliance
- Take Command of Your Mobility Initiative
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
White House: Assad displaying 'depth of depravity'
Wednesday - 7/25/2012, 2:57pm EDT
ABOARD AIR FORCE ONE (AP) - The White House says the Syrian government's assault on the city of Aleppo with tanks and airplanes illustrates what it called "the depth of depravity" by the regime of President Bashar Assad.
White House spokesman Jay Carney said the administration has seen "credible" reports about the regime's use of military hardware in Aleppo, Syria's largest city. Carney said Assad was using its forces to "perpetrate heinous violence" against the city's civilian population.
Carney also pointed to defections by Syrian ambassadors to Cyprus and the United Arab Emirates are an indication that officials in Assad's circle are "fleeing government because of the heinous actions taken by Assad."
Assad has used helicopters in fighting rebels in the past, but reports Wednesday cited by Carney included the use of "fixed-wing aircraft" such as military planes.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)