Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
At nearly 90, Pierre Cardin makes comeback
Sunday - 7/1/2012, 9:31am EDT
AP Fashion Writer
PARIS (AP) - Pierre Cardin, the man who invented Paris menswear shows back in the 1950s, has staged a long-awaited comeback.
The legendary designer, famed for dressing the Beatles in collar-less jackets and taking high fashion to communist China, celebrated his long career on Sunday with his first menswear catwalk show in several years, showcasing his signature space-age designs.
It was by far the most exhaustive menswear collection of the season, with a staggering 138 retro looks.
If none of the clothes felt very contemporary _ chunky sweaters, collar-less suits and retro space age neoprene jackets _ this was perhaps unsurprising: The designer turns ninety next week.
But despite his age, and a resume that spans 65 years, retirement is not in his vocabulary.
"Aesthetics is simply my craft," said the designer backstage, "I've still got gasoline for tomorrow."
The multimillionaire, who worked with Elsa Schiaparelli and Christian Dior in his twenties, has not been slowed by age.
"I was the youngest couturier in Paris when I started, and now I'm the oldest. It's extraordinary, I'm still here!"
Thomas Adamson can be followed at http://Twitter.com/ThomasAdamsonAP
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)