Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Biographical information on Steve Ballmer
Saturday - 8/24/2013, 12:20pm EDT
The Associated Press
Microsoft Corp. said Friday that CEO Steve Ballmer will retire within the next year. Ballmer has worked at the company for the past 33 years, and has held the top job since 2000. Here are some biographic details on Ballmer:
NAME: Steven Ballmer
BORN: March 24, 1956. Ballmer grew up near Detroit. His father was a manager at Ford Motor Co.
OCCUPATION: Chief executive officer of Microsoft Corp., which is headquartered in Redmond, Wash.
EDUCATION: Bachelor's degree in mathematics and economics from Harvard University. He attended the Stanford Graduate School of Business but dropped out to start working at Microsoft.
CAREER: Before joining the company, Ballmer worked two years at consumer products maker Procter & Gamble Co. as an assistant product manager. He started working at Microsoft in 1980. Before becoming CEO, Ballmer's roles at Microsoft included senior vice president of sales and support, senior vice president of systems software and vice president of marketing. He was named CEO in 2000, taking over the job from Microsoft founder Bill Gates.
QUOTE: "There is never a perfect time for this type of transition, but now is the right time," Ballmer said Friday in a press release announcing his retirement.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.