Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
Detroit adds watches to the list of stuff it makes
Thursday - 5/9/2013, 10:52am EDT
DETROIT (AP) -- Detroit has a long history of manufacturing -- cars, steel, even popcorn.
Now, the city is home to a facility devoted to the production of an item not made at this scale in the U.S. for decades: the wristwatch.
The Dallas-based Shinola Company is manufacturing its Shinola brand of watches in Detroit.
Shinola officials say this year's watch production target is 45,000, to be sold online, at flagship stores in Detroit and New York and at fashion and jewelry retailers and department stores nationwide.
Early returns are positive. Shinola sold a limited-edition round of 2,500 watches in less than a week.
Either way, watchmaking, which hasn't been a thriving American industry for a while, once again appears to be ticking.
Watch the video here: http://bit.ly/15MC0G7
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.