Shows & Panels
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- The Big Data Dilemma
- Carrying On with Continuity of Operations
- Connected Government
- Constituent Servicing
- Continuous Monitoring: Tools and Techniques for Trustworthy Government IT
- The Cyber Imperative
- Cyber Solutions for 2013 and Beyond
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Expert Voices
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal IT Challenge
- Federal Tech Talk
- Mission-critical Apps in the Cloud
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- The Path from Legacy Systems
- The Real Deal on Digital Government
- The Reality of Continuous Monitoring... Is Your Agency Secure?
- Veterans in Private Sector: Making the Transition
Shows & Panels
News Summary: Obama jobs council shuts down
Thursday - 1/31/2013, 1:48pm EST
(AP) - EXPIRATION: President Barack Obama will not renew his Council on Jobs and Competitiveness, winding down one source of input from the business community even as unemployment remains stubbornly high.
MAJOR REPORT: Its main work was a report released in January 2012. It also organized meetings that Obama didn't attend with business owners, local elected officials and academics. General Electric CEO Jeff Immelt, the panel's chair, said progress was made on 90 percent of its recommendations.
CRITICS: Republicans say the president is "laying off" his own jobs council. Critics say the council's primary purpose was to create the appearance of action at a time when the nation was pining for something to address soaring joblessness.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)