Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Italian bank official: Nationalization is possible
Tuesday - 1/29/2013, 4:41pm EST
MILAN (AP) - The chairman of embattled Italian bank Monte dei Paschi says nationalizing the world's oldest running bank remains "potentially" possible _ but emphasized managers' commitment to avoid that outcome.
Alessandro Profumo told RAI state television Tuesday evening that the bank's reorganization plan should ensure that it can repay (EURO)3.9 billion ($5.26 billion) in state aid and prevent nationalization.
The bank sought the bonds to help raise capital to buffer its high exposure to Italian debt. It took an additional blow with revelations of potential losses in the hundreds of millions of euros related to derivative-based trades.
Monte dei Paschi's crisis has become fodder for the ongoing election campaign, with politicians pointing fingers over the bailout and making accusations of lack of oversight. Italy votes for a new government next month.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)