Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
CBS converting advertising unit to REIT
Wednesday - 1/16/2013, 5:02pm EST
NEW YORK (AP) - CBS Corp. said Wednesday that it is converting its U.S. outdoor advertising business to a real estate investment trust and selling the international portion of the business. Investors applauded the move and shares jumped in after-hours trading.
The announcement follows a similar move made by billboard operator Lamar Advertising Co. in August.
REITs return 90 percent of their profits to shareholders. By spinning the outdoor business into the new structure, CBS is betting that the business will be valued at a higher multiple of earnings than its core business of TV and radio broadcasting. It wasn't immediately clear how much of the REIT that CBS would continue to own.
"We believe the moves we are announcing today will unlock the tremendous value of these unique quality assets," said CBS' chief executive, Leslie Moonves, in a statement.
CBS shares rose $3.18, or 8.4 percent, in after-hours trading to $41.12.
The media company said Wednesday that it will submit a request for a private letter ruling to the IRS during the first quarter. If that is granted, it could complete the REIT conversion in 2014.
It did not set a timetable for the sale of its outdoor advertising business in Europe and Asia.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)