Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
News Summary: US jobless claims fall to 5-year low
Thursday - 1/24/2013, 4:46pm EST
(AP) - APPLICATIONS FALL: The number of Americans seeking unemployment aid fell 5,000 last week to a seasonally adjusted 330,000, the lowest level in five years.
VOLATILE DATA: The decline partly reflects the government's difficulty adjusting its numbers to account for layoffs after the holiday shopping season. Layoffs spike in the second week of January as retailers cut temporary workers. They then fall sharply in the following weeks.
POSITIVE TREND: If the declining trend holds up, it would suggest that the job market is improving. Applications are a proxy for layoffs. Falling layoffs sometimes coincide with more hiring.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)