Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Connected Government
- Consolidating Mission-critical Systems
- Constituent Servicing
- The Data Privacy Imperative: Safeguarding Sensitive Data
- Eliminating the Pitfalls: Steps to Virtualization in Government
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- Government Cloud Brokerage: Who, What, When, Where, Why?
- Government Mobility
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Mobile Device Management
- The Modern Federal Threat Landscape
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- Understanding the Intersection of Customer Service and Security in the Cloud
Shows & Panels
UK Treasury chief to announce bank breakup powers
Monday - 2/4/2013, 5:11am EST
LONDON (AP) - Britain's treasury chief is set to say that the country's banks could be forcibly split into smaller pieces if they fail to properly insulate their retail operations from their riskier investment arms.
George Osborne is due to issue the stark warning during a speech Monday before executives from JP Morgan.
According to prepared remarks, Osborne will say taxpayers shouldn't be expected to bail out the banks again. He will say that next time a crisis hits, the treasury chief should have the choice of keeping "the bank branches going, the cash machines operating, while letting the investment arm fail."
Osborne's remarks follow recommendations from the Parliamentary Commission on Banking Standards that proposals for a "ring-fence" to protect retail banks needed to be "electrified" to discourage banks from probing for loopholes.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)