Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Berry taking the option out of telework
Monday - 3/22/2010, 1:27am EDT
Speaking to the Federal Managers Association's convention in Crystal City, Virginia earlier this month, OPM Director John Berry made it clear that making telework work is a priority.
Wouldn't that be cool if rather than saying "the federal government is closed today," we could say "the federal government is on a mobile workday and make sure you take your computer home tomorrow because we need you to work from home." That sends an entirely different message to the taxpayer. And we can maintain the Continuity of Operations.
Now, you all know, in this day and age, it's not just snow that can close us down. A dirty bomb could go off in Lafayette Park at 10 o'clock this morning. God forbid. But if it does, probably about 15 federal office buildings are going to be (un)inhabitable for months, if not years.
Well, we can't just say "we're not going to do that anymore." We're the government of the United States, by God, and we have a responsibility to keep our operations up and running. And so it's incumbent on us as managers to solve whatever the stumbling blocks or the speed bumps on this are, so we can make this work.