Shows & Panels
- The 2014 Big Picture on Cyber Security
- AFCEA Answers
- Ask the CIO
- Building the Hybrid Cloud
- Connected Government: How to Build and Procure Network Services for the Future
- Continuing Diagnostics and Mitigation: Discussion of Progress and Next Steps
- Federal Executive Forum
- Federal Tech Talk
- The Intersection: Where Technology Meets Transformation
- Maximizing ROI Through Data Center Consolidation
- Moving to the Cloud. What's the best approach for me
- Navigating Tough Choices in Government Cloud Computing
- The New Generation of Database
- Satellite Communications: Acquiring SATCOM in Tight Times
- Targeting Advanced Threats: Proven Methods from Detection through Remediation
- Transformative Technology: Desktop Virtualization in Government
- The Truth About IT Opex and Software Defined Networking
- Value of Health IT
Shows & Panels
Obama signs telework bill into law
Thursday - 12/9/2010, 2:42pm EST
Federal News Radio
President Obama signed into a law today the bipartisan telework bill that enhances telework opportunities for federal employees.
"We're talking about bringing the government into the 21st century from a technology point of view and every other point of view," bill sponsor Rep. Frank Wolf (R-Va.) told Federal News Radio last month after the House passed its version of the bill. The Senate had passed similar legislation in September.
Rep. John Sarbanes (D-Md.), one of the bill sponsors, said the legislation will be a key in recruiting and retaining the "best and brightest workers."
According to Sarbanes' website, the legislation will:
- Instruct OPM to issue government-wide telework guidelines and require each agency to develop a telework policy for their employees.
- Designate a Telework Managing Officer in each agency to oversee telework.
- Provide greater access to telework training and education and provide teleworks with greater protection against punitive treatment by supervisors and managers.
- Require each agency to integrate telework into its Continuity of Operations Planning.
- Require OPM to compile government-wide data on telework.
- Require the Government Accountability Office to evaluate agency compliance.